Cross-Cultural experiences across the Edmund Rice Network include opportunities to volunteer, be an Intern, or a member of an Immersion Group.
These opportunities exist locally (within your own country), across the Oceania Province (Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Timor Leste, the Philippines) or countries in other Christian Brothers Provinces such as Africa and Europe.
Apart from a sense of adventure and a commitment to learning more about yourself, suitable candidates for the Walking Together Cross Cultural Engagement Program would ideally possess:
- The required qualifications, skills, and experience necessary for any specific role they might undertake in another culture.
- A commitment to a personal sense of justice spirituality and a passion for justice
- A willingness to live and work alongside a religious community and an understanding that participation in an Edmund Rice Ministry involves sharing in personal reflections of spirituality.
- Good health.
- Maturity - good communication skills, a strong sense of self and self-understanding,
- Openness to cultural adaptation - i.e. humble, flexible, accepting.
- An attraction to the Edmund Rice story and an understanding of its implications for ministry.
- A desire to live simply, with a willingness to enter the privileged space of another culture as a guest and to live simply amongst the people.
- An understanding that ministry is a shared journey with members of the local community, where both giving and receiving relationships develop.
- Willingness and an ability to reflect upon, share, and discuss their experience as a participant, including gaining a greater understanding of the complex issues relating to decolonisation and development work in a cross cultural context.
- The support of a network of relationships within their own life and a willingness to deepen and extend those relationships through their experience.
- Willingness for ongoing involvement in the Edmund Rice Network, Church, community work, advocacy, or other justice & peace activity on return from their placement.